Personal data (“Personal Data”) means any information relating to an identified or identifiable person. An identifiable person is a person who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identification number or to one or more factors specific to the person.
Non-Personal Data means any information that does not result in the identification of a person.
- DATA COLLECTED
Visitors are individuals who visit the Sites without registering themselves. Their Personal Data likely includes:
- IP and/or MAC address
- Cookies (as described in section 10); and
- any other Personal Data as may be relevant for the purposes listed below.
Personal Data collected (including from those who visit Sites and enter information) for the purposes listed below likely includes:
- first and last name;
- postal address;
- email address;
- telephone number(s);
- login and password;
- university, degree and courses taken;
- type of organisation (company, school, university, etc.), organisation name, organisation size, department and job title;
- industry and industry sub-industry sectors;
- people to whom purchases are shipped;
- financial data (credit card number and expiry date, name and address of the cardholder);
- IP and/or MAC address;
- Cookies (as described in section 10); and
- any other Personal Data as may be relevant for the purposes listed below.
In all cases, however, the Personal Data gathered is limited to data necessary for the purposes described in Article 4 below.
For visitors and users of the Sites: in order to use certain functions and features of the Site, Modular requires that You provide certain Personal Data when visiting or using the Site. You are free to decide whether or not to provide all or part of Your Personal Data. However, if You choose not to provide all or part of this Personal Data, the purposes as described in Article 4 hereafter might not be achieved or not properly achieved, some areas and functions of the Sites may not function properly and/or You may be refused access to certain pages on the Site. In particular, You will not be authorised to purchase software licenses or other products or services via the Site.
- PURPOSES AND LEGAL GROUNDS FOR PROCESSING PERSONAL DATA
Whether You are a visitor or a user, Modular collects Your Personal Data for the following legal grounds and for the following purposes:
– Processing activities based on Your consent:
- To improve Your user experience;
- To recognise that You have given a Personal Data so You don’t need to do it for every web page requested;
– Processing activities based on Modular’s legitimate interest:
- To enable Modular to manage surveys.
In addition, when You are a user, Modular collects Your Personal Data on the following legal grounds and for the following purposes:
– Processing activities based on Your prior consent:
- To enable You to request and receive information on Modular and Modular products and services from Modular or a third party engaged by Modular;
- To ascertain Your requirements and interests and provide You with the most suitable products and/or services ;
- To enable Modular to manage its marketing
- To enable You to register for a seminar, webinar, or event;
- To enable You to enter a contest;
Modular may provide a hashed user ID to third party operated social networks or other web offerings (such as Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram, or Google) where this information is matched against the social networks’ data own data bases in order to display to You more relevant information.
– Processing based on Modular’s legitimate interest:
- To enable Modular to manage its marketing activities for similar goods and products if You are already using Modular products and services;
- To manage the Modular obligations related to applicable export laws, trade sanctions, and embargoes issued, without limitation, by the European Union and its member states, and of the United States of America. This may include (i) automated checks of any user registration data as set out herein and other information You provide about Your identity against applicable sanctioned-party lists; (ii) regular repetition of such checks whenever a sanctioned-party list is updated or when You update Your information; (iii) blocking of access to Modular services and systems in case of a potential match; and (iv) contacting You to confirm Your identity in case of a potential match;
– Processing based on the performance of a contract :
- To provide You with a personalised interactive use of the Sites;
- To allow You to open and maintain an account in order to obtain specialised documentation and technical assistance;
- To access all the features and options offered by the Sites;
- To enable You to exchange with other users of the Sites;
- To enable Modular to manage its business relationships, including sales opportunities, commercial offers, purchasing, contracts, orders, invoices, which may include conversational data triggered via chat functionalities on the Sites, contact forms, emails, and voice messaging data;
- To provide You with commercial or support-type services;
- To enable You to purchase software licenses, or products or services, download software and/or register software licenses; and
- To manage Your training and/or certification on Modular products and services. Modular may also track users’ learning progress in order to make this information available to them.
Generally, when consent is not required, You cannot opt out of non-marketing related communications that are required for the relevant business relationship. With regard to marketing-related communications (e.g., emails and phone calls), Modular will (i) where legally required, only send You such communications after You have opted in, and (ii) provide You the opportunity to opt out of receiving further marketing-related communications from Modular.
When You register for an event organised by Modular, Modular may share Your name, company, and email address with other participants and sponsors of the same event for the purpose of communication and the exchange of ideas. In addition, Modular may ask You for information about Your health for the sole purpose of identifying and being considerate of individuals who have disabilities or special dietary requirements throughout the event.
Subject to applicable local law, by providing Personal Data such as but not limited to e-mail address, You hereby expressly authorise Modular and its affiliates and subsidiaries to use it together with other relevant Personal Data to send You commercial or marketing communications. Modular might also use Your email address for administrative or other non-marketing purposes (for example, to notify You of significant changes to the Sites).
- 4. PERSONAL DATA RETENTION PERIOD
Modular does not store Your Personal Data for more time than necessary. Retention periods may vary depending on the data categories and the processing activities.
Where Modular is processing and using Your Personal Data as permitted by law or under Your consent, Modular will store Your Personal Data (i) only as long as required to fulfil the purposes set out above, (ii) where Modular has a legitimate interest in using Your Personal Data, until You object to Modular’s use of Your Personal Data, or (iii) where You gave Your consent, until You withdraw it. However, where Modular is required by applicable law to retain Your Personal Data longer or where Your Personal Data is required to assert or defend against legal claims, Modular will retain Your Personal Data until the end of the relevant retention period or until the claims in question have been settled.
- TRANSFER OF PERSONAL DATA
Please note that Modular may transfer Your Personal Data outside of the European Union, as long as before transferring Your Personal Data, Modular has ascertained that non-European Union entities, offer an adequate level of protection in accordance with European legislation.
- RIGHT TO ACCESS, TO RECTIFICATION AND OTHER RIGHTS
You have a right to access Your Personal Data. In addition, You have a right to request the rectification, completion, update or erasure of Your Personal Data. You have a right to restrict processing. You also have a right to obtain a copy of Your Personal Data stored by Modular. You have a right to object, in relation to specific processing of Your Personal Data. Additionally, You may have a right to data portability.
Depending on the scope of the request, Modular reserves the right to charge a reasonable fee to cover any out-of-pocket costs incurred in connection with such access, modification and deletion of Personal Data. Modular may deny access to Personal Data in limited circumstances, defined by applicable laws and regulations.
- 7. DATA RECIPIENTS
Modular may also disclose Your Personal Data if required by law or if Modular believes in good faith that such disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with legal process (for example, a warrant, a subpoena, or other court order) or protect the rights, property, or personal safety of Modular, Modular’s customers, or the public.
If allowed by applicable law, Modular may also share Your Personal Data with third parties in order to offer You targeted marketing or advertising.
- 8. DATA SECURITY
Modular undertakes to ensure the protection and security of Personal Data that You choose to communicate, in order to ensure the confidentiality of Your Personal Data and prevent Your Personal Data from being distorted, damaged, destroyed or disclosed to unauthorised parties.
Modular maintains reasonable physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect Personal Data from loss, misuse and unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. As part of those safeguards, Modular employs sophisticated technology designed to protect Personal Data during its transmission and prevent transmission errors or unauthorised acts of third parties. However, while Modular strives to protect Your Personal Data, in light of the inevitable risks of data transmission over the internet, Modular cannot guarantee full protection against any error occurring during the course of Personal Data transmission which is beyond Modular’ reasonable control.
Since all Personal Data is confidential, access is limited to employees, contractors and agents of Modular who have a need to know such data in carrying out their tasks. All the people who have access to Your Personal Data are bound by a duty of confidentiality and subject to disciplinary actions and/or other sanctions if they fail to meet these obligations.
However, it is important for You to exercise caution to prevent unauthorised access to Your Personal Data. You are responsible for the confidentiality of Your password and information appearing on Your account. Consequently, You must ensure that You log out of Your session in the event of shared use of a computer.
– improve Your user experience through, for example:
- enabling a service to recognise Your device so You don’t have to give the same information several times during one task;
- recognising that You may already have given a username and password so You don’t need to do so for every web page requested;
– analyse traffic and data on the Sites to:
- measure how many people are using the Sites, so the Sites can be made easier to use and navigate and to make sure there is enough capacity to ensure the Sites have adequate response times;
- help Modular understand how users interact with the Sites so Modular can improve their functionality and performance.
Modular may also use third party services to perform services on its behalf, in particular to:
– analyse Your browsing habits and measure the Sites audience,
– analyse Your interests and offer You targeted marketing or advertising,
– allow You to share content from the services with other people on social networks or to let these other people know what You are looking at or what You think (e.g., the “Like” button on Facebook)
In such a case, cookies provided by such third party vendors may be used and stored. By transmitting the information generated by these cookies, the cookies’ settings ensure that an IP address is anonymised before geo-localisation and before storage. Our providers will use this information for the evaluation of Your use of the Sites, compiling reports on the Sites activity for Modular, to propose better services to You that are suited to Your needs, and display advertisements You that are suited to Your needs. Cookies will not associate Your IP address with any other data they hold.
- 1 LINKS TO WEBSITES NOT CONTROLLED BY Modular OR ITS SUBSIDIARIES
The Sites might offer links to third party websites which may be of interest to You.
Modular does not exercise any control over the content of third party websites or the practices of these third parties in connection with the protection of Personal Data that they might collect and are thus not in the control of Modular. Consequently, Modular shall have no liability for the content of third party websites or the practices of these third parties concerning the protection of Personal Data.
It is therefore Your responsibility to inform yourself of the privacy policies of these third party websites.
- 1 DISPUTE RESOLUTION
Although Modular has put in place reasonable safeguards to protect Personal Data, Modular recognises that there is no method of transmitting or storing Personal Data that is completely secure.
However, Modular is committed to ensure the privacy of Personal Data: if You have a reason to believe that the security of Your Personal Data has been compromised or misused,
Unauthorised access to Personal Data or the improper use of Personal Data may constitute offences under local law.
If Your usual place of residence is in European Union, Lichtenstein, Norway or Iceland, You have a right to file a complaint with Your competent data protection authority.